"By adopting a child and helping them reach their potential, they help us reach ours. An adopted child is not an unwanted child; to the contrary. They are a child who was searched for, prayed for, cried for, begged for; received by arms that ached, making empty hearts full. Love is meant to be shared." Author unknown

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The dust is beginning to settle...

We made it home, unscathed Saturday night, shortly before 9pm.  My husband and 5 kids were anxiously awaiting at the airport for our decent out of the "secure" area to greet us.  It was so wonderfully great to see them. I teared up many times during the travel back to the US knowing that the day had finally come that I would be reunited with them.  I could not wait to give each of them a big hug and kiss.  Three weeks is way to long to be away from my kids.
I thank God for the journey, for the experience and for all he has done for us. The hardest part of this entire journey has been the extended time away from my kids.  I can handle a week, that is therapeutic for all of us, but much more than that is torturous.

My husband did a great job with managing the house while I was away.  I have to say everything appears to be intact other than the messes of our unpacking from a long, long distance trip.  As of today, I still have some unpacking to do - little by little it is getting done.  We have been pretty busy with daily life, post adoption reviews, doctor appointments and new routines. 

Thankfully, everyone is getting along well and we are each discovering how we will all "fit". Angel is showing some jealousy but we expected that. Kailey is a little momma hen, loves carrying the boys whenever they want picked up.  We are working on getting her to not carry them all the time.  I do appreciate her help though.  I believe she has even changed a wet diaper or two.

Corban's willingness to consume bottles has been going well over the past 2 days, I hope it stays that way.  I began adding a little bit of baby puree and milk to his bottles in attempts to improve his nutrition and calorie intake.  So far, the little changes I've made have not detoured him from the bottles!!!! PTL!!!  I plan to increase the amount of baby food and milk I'm adding every few days.

Yesterday, we took the boys for their first physicals.  We met with our Chinese pediatrician, Dr Zhou who has been Angel's pediatrician since our return home with her.  Overall, the appointment went well.  Tegan is 35 inches tall and weighs almost 26 pounds.  Corban is 34.5 inches tall and weighs 23 pounds.  I really though there was more than a three pound difference between the two of them, it sure feels like it.

There are no concerns regarding Tegan.  Corban, on the other hand, is being referred on for several evaluations.  We are being referred to speech and occupational therapy for his eating, verbal and developmental delays.  To an ENT to be sure there are no issues with his swallowing. A CT scan of his head is being requested to be sure there are no brain issues, pediatrician has some concern of this due to his delays and misshapen head. Then the final referral I'll not publicize, it's nothing of concern - let's just say he really on needs one anyway.

We have been blessed with many dinners since returning home.  This had been such a blessing and really had made the days a little easier.  Thank you to all who have taken the time to prepare and drop off meals.  We are extremely grateful for your generosity. We sure are blessed to have so many caring friends.  Thanks be to God, may he be as generous to all of you!!!!

Thank you also to those who have sent size 18 months clothes.  We now have a few pants that actually stay on Corban.

  
                                    Corban                                                             Tegan

2 comments:

  1. Welcome home to ALL of you!!! So glad you made it home safely! Happy Thanksgiving friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. I find it hard to apprehend at first but then i really appreciate and your time and effort for sharing this valuable information.

    Adoption Agency

    ReplyDelete

Pictures of our Journey to bring Tegan and Corban home!