"By adopting a child and helping them reach their potential, they help us reach ours. An adopted child is not an unwanted child; to the contrary. They are a child who was searched for, prayed for, cried for, begged for; received by arms that ached, making empty hearts full. Love is meant to be shared." Author unknown

Thursday, November 3, 2011

2011 Nov 3 Day 4 - Gotcha Day!!!

We met our guide, Emma, in the lobby at 8:30am and headed to a bank near the Civil Affairs office to exchange some money into Yuan (aka RMB) for some of the paperwork processing fees.  Then we went straight to the Civil Affairs office, arriving just after 9:30am.  We were not told if Tegan was already there or not so when we got to the office door I peaked in to look around the door frame and there he was - seeing him, took my breath away. I almost began to cry but kept my composure. He was just sitting in a chair very quiet and patient. He kept looking at me like he might know me (thankful I sent the photo album with family pictures).  Before I could interact with him, I had to sign many papers granting me custody of him for the next 24 hours.  He sat quietly the whole time, amazing for a 2 year old.

I kept glancing at him and giving him a little wave, he didn't really have a reaction.  At one point, while waiting for some documents, I pulled out a little car I had brought for him and he willingly took it. Once the paperwork was finished they said to pick him up - well you don't have to tell me twice - I got up from my chair and stepped over in front of him and offered to pick him up.  At this point I cannot even recall if he raised his hands to me or not, it's all a blur but I did pick him up and he didn't say a word. I sat down at the table with him as the lady from the orphanage brought over 3 bags full of gifts from the orphanage - I was in awe.

They sent with him all the items we had sent to him in care packages, plus a package of diapers, a pair of PJs, a chop which had a Ram on the top and his Chinese name engraved for stamping, a special mug made because it is their 100th year celebration, a photo album of his growing up (including a picture of when he arrived at the orphanage at about 3 days old - PRICELESS!!!!!) and pendant that was left with him (again PRICELESS). 

I was so very excited to see a newborn picture of him and a gift from his parents that was left with him. Oh how much they must have loved him to do that. I will never understand the pain and anguish they must have gone through to have to make that decision and follow through on it but my heart is so very thankful that they did what they needed to so that he would have a chance at life!!!! We are so very blessed to have this boy as a part of our family.

We then sat at the table and played with the car for about 10 more minutes while paperwork and plans for Friday's adoption paperwork were finalized. He was so happy and even giggled when he made the car crash onto the floor.  They said he is a very happy boy, I would have to agree.

Once done there we were taken back to our hotel to get to know Tegan (Mao Mao is what we are calling him for now as that is what they called him at the orphanage), eat lunch and get him down for a nap.  Which all went without a hitch. 

We met Emma again at 2pm for the orphanage visit. They tried to talk me out of it at gotcha time, but I insisted that I wanted to go.  I was a little hesitant in making that decision since we were only going to have a few hours to bond with him but am glad we decided to.  He had no real issues, other than being a little confused.  He was able to play in the PreK room with his friends and a nannyfor a bit. Then we went to see the room where he slept.  This is the infamous room we've seen in many photos where he has been in the green "playpen".  There were a few nannies in the room that spoke with him a bit and had him point out his crib to me.  They even showed us that he knows how to say "bye bye" and do palm throw kisses.

I am absolutely in love with this cheerful little guy and still need to pinch myself to know that this has all really happened. PTL!!!! 

Thank you for all your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pictures of our Journey to bring Tegan and Corban home!