"By adopting a child and helping them reach their potential, they help us reach ours. An adopted child is not an unwanted child; to the contrary. They are a child who was searched for, prayed for, cried for, begged for; received by arms that ached, making empty hearts full. Love is meant to be shared." Author unknown

Saturday, February 25, 2012

4 Days in the Hospital

Day 1(Saturday) &2(Sunday) in the hospital - Tegan was pretty miserable we kept overlapping the Tylenol and Motrin to help with his comfort though it only seemed to take the edge off.  His temps were up and down.  The expectation by mid-day Saturday was that we would begin to see some improvement; unfortunately, we saw just the opposite.  I thought the redness had become more crimson and that it was beginning to spread a little further then just around the expander. Therefore, on Saturday and Sunday evening he received a second antibiotic via his IV - Rosephin. This was on top of the Clindamycin he was receiving every 6 hours.  His fevers were up and down, reaching 104 at times.

Day 1

His eating was up and down, depending on the fevers and comfort of where he was at in the Tylenol/Motrin cycle.

Daddy's visit seemed to help when crabbiness set in on Monday

Monday, he finally seemed to be perking up.  He ate a decent sized breakfast, his tempurature had been almost normal all night.  The doctor paid us a visit and mentioned the possiblity of going home if he continued.  Unfortunatley, by the noon hour his demenor was beginning to change and he quickly spiked another 104.2 fever, probably the highest he had hit while at the hospital.  I knew then we would be spending a 4th night.  Thankfully, the rest of the evening and night he was pretty normal, the redness was receding and on Tuesday he had really perked up.  When he was finally fever free for 24 hours they told us we would probably be released that evening and PTL, we were!!!!

Good view of the redness.  You can see a ring of normal skin tone begin to show through.

24hrs of fever free means we can go to the playroom!!! A social worker paid us a visit, she took him up to the playroom while I ran downstairs to get a coffee.  Four nights of poor, choppy sleep was getting to me.

As of today, the lower part of the expander is still pretty red but it seems to be fading from top down.  We see a little more skin color each day.  It is no longer warm to the touch, either. We hope the Clindamycin he is taking orally will continue to eliminate the infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pictures of our Journey to bring Tegan and Corban home!